“Prophet Elias” cultural association of Lechovo
In the village there is a cultural association called “Prophet Elias”, which was founded in 1921. Before the war the association was housed in a privately-owned, three-story building. There was also a local library with 5,000 volumes. During the years of the German Occupation in Greece, the club offered an important social contribution. It helped war-stricken families, and orphan, poor girls. In 1943, the library was burnt down by the Germans, along with the other houses and buildings of the village. On the 9th of September, in 1976 the library was reorganized and along with the “National Folklore Museum of Lechovo” was housed in a new privately-owned three-story building collecting what was rescued from the disaster the village suffered.. The club’s activities and facilities are the following:
- Library with 7,500 book volumes
- National Folklore Museum of Lechovo
- Dance Courses for all ages
- Women’s Choir
- Voluntary Blood Donation
- Multiple Event Happenings on the hill of Prophet Elias
- Local Newspaper Publication
A building block in the village square, which was saved by the disastrous fire of 1943, has been preserved and includes the following buildings:
- The church of Agios Dimitrios, built in 1812 and renovated in 1868. Its temple is of high aesthetic value, its throne and pulpit are majestic.
- Bell Tower of Agios Dimitrios Church
- Traditional Building of the Public School built in 1900. It was firstly used as a school up to 1958, later it operated as a communal shop and finally since 1984 it houses the National Folklore Museum of Lechovo. It was partly restored in the 1980s with the economic help of the cultural association and completely restored in 2005.
- Traditional founts constructed in 1908, located in one side of the Public School.
- Church of Agios Dimitrios, cathedral church of Lechovo, built in 1812
- Church of Agia Paraskevi, building of the early 20th century, in the place of the first church built in the village (1600-1610). The present temple was built in 1946-1947 on the ruins of a former basilica which is related to the post-Byzantium churches of the Chimadi settlement. There have been preserved the altar gate dating back to 1670, the icon of Agios Dimitrios of 1637-1638 which is designed by the iconographers of Linotopi (area in Kastoria) and the icon of Agios Konstantinos and Agia Eleni of 1600 which is exhibited in the folklore museum.
- Church of Agios Minas, built in 1955, the third church in a row with the same name and in the same place. The initial temple which existed until 1892 has been recorded as semibasement with narrow entrances. The second one was destroyed from the land subsidence and the rebuilding started in 1955 while the inauguration took place in 1968.
- Church of Prophet Elias built in 1911 on a hill (1.017m). The summer fest takes place here. The built-in stone records as erection date the 8th of May 1919. There was a small church before and some of its ruins are still preserved.
- Church of Zoodochos Pigi, built in 1914. The first temple was built in 1899 and had a capacity of 3 or 4 people. The present temple was built before the liberation (11/11/1912) and it was a donation from P.Devolis.
- Church of Agios Athanasios Cemetery Church. The temple was built before 1855 and after the road and the bridge on the stream were constructed (1850 and 1852 accordingly)
- Chapel of Agia Kiriaki, built on a rock in 1955 under which spouts the spring of the river Isvoros
- Chapel of Agios Panteleimon, built in 1978 by the trade union of Builders in order to honor their protector. In a higher position lies the chapel of Agios Panteleimon, built in 1903 by the national committee of Lechovo for the better service of the Greek guerilla troops. It was the most famous den of the region during the years of the Macedonian Struggle.
- Chapel of Holy Trinity. It was built in 1903 in order to serve the guerillas in the place Kolovozi. On the 5th of November 1905 in this spot took place the fight between Captain Liapis-Minadakis and the Turkish army which led to the death of the Captain and 7 other guerillas.
Nature Lovers Club
The forests of beech, oak and black pine dominate the surrounding area, where you may also find mistletoes, oregano, salep, bee herbs and many other species of herbs and wild flowers. The local fauna includes wolves, badgers, foxes, bears and more rarely roes and deers. Moreover, the lake of Chimaditis is a biotope for many aquatic birds and plants.
Nature Lovers Club
The Nature Lovers and Climbing Club was founded in 2004. In its small period of operating it organized various activities (hiking, excursions etc.)
The Athletic Educational Association “Theseus” of Lechovo was founded in 1926 and is the only sports club of the village. It was named after the pseudonym of the Macedonian Struggle fighter Iraklis Fitzios. The sports club provides handball (in 2006-2007 took part in the 2nd National Games category) and football teams. Its colors are blue and orange. There is also an indoor gym of Olympic specifications and has hosted national sports activities of the federations of volleyball, handball and table tennis such as the Handball Balkan Games.